Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Court / Fines for man in Christmas fracas

A DRUNKEN fracas in which a man sustained minor injuries resulted in fines totalling £680 for another at Lerwick Sheriff Court on Thursday.

Colin Robertson, 37, who lived at Hoofields, Lerwick, at the time of the incident, but who now resides in Northumberland, had been drinking with a couple he met in the pub on Christmas Day last year.

The group went back to the couple’s house in Brown’s Road and the session continued till the next morning when the trio resolved to go to the Co-op for more drink.

As Robertson was outside the house a heated argument brewed between the couple which resulted in the woman smashing plates and injuring herself in the process.

Robertson charged in, leaped to conclusions, and attacked the complainer, whilst thinking he was protecting the woman, according to procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie.

Relatively minor injuries were sustained by the complainer that did not need hospital treatment, Mackenzie added.

Robertson was still there when police arrived and he ran off in the direction of the police station.

According to defence agent Tommy Allan, Robertson had “offered to race the police to the police station and ran up the hill. It was a race he appeared to have won, as he was there in plenty of time for them to arrive and process him.”

According to the procurator fiscal, Robertson’s antics did not stop at that point.

In the cells he stood on his hands and attempted to drown himself in the toilet. He also threatened to rip the heads off the police officers once he was released.

Allan said that his client had been going through a bad patch at the time and was now much better and would shortly be starting a new job.

Sheriff Ian Cruickshank fined Robertson £360 for behaving in a threatening and abusive manner and behaving aggressively towards the complainer resulting in him sustaining injuries.

Robertson was fined a further £320 for behaving in a threatening and abusive manner and uttering threats of violence at the police station.

Scottish Parliament election, 6 May 2021