Push Notifications Policy
Shetland News provides a web push notification service for our end-users using the third party service, OneSignal.
Web push is based on informed consent, no data is collected from the end-user without them first opting on their browsers when they first visit the website. Upon opting in by turning on the browser-level permission to accept the push notifications, the push notifications service of the browser creates a randomly generated ID for the subscription. This ID cannot be used to identify a particular individual, only to attribute whether the end-user has setup a subscription between their browser and the push notification system. Data is automatically deleted on expired endpoints and end-users have complete control over their data. They can unsubscribe at any time from their browser (instructions below) and the subscription would be removed and their data would be deleted.
Subscribe to Push Notifications
Push notifications is a new feature that allows users to subscribe to instant notifications for new Shetland News stories.
Pushes show up as notification badges on your screen where you can view the title, clicking on it will take you directly to the story on www.shetnews.co.uk.
In order to subscribe, you need a compatible browser, please see below:
- Chrome 42+ (Desktop & Android)
- Safari 7.1+ (Mac OS X desktop only) iOS does not currently support web push notifications.
- Firefox 44+ Desktop & Firefox 48+ Android.
The box below displays the status of your push notification.
Push subscriptions are easy to opt-in and easy to unsubscribe from using your browser preferences.
- If you are working on a Windows or Linux OS machine you can right click on the notification itself to stop all further notifications.
- If you are working on another operating system, go to:
- Open Chrome
- Select Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Privacy Settings > Notifications > Manage Expectations
- This will show you a list of the websites that you have accepted push notifications from. Look for Shetland News and opt out of notifications.
- Open Safari
- Select Preferences from the Safari drop-down in the top-left.
- Select the Websites tab.
- In the left-column, select Notifications.
- Within the list you should find Shetland News. Change the mode from Allow to Deny.
- Open Firefox
- Select Preferences > Content > Notifications > Choose
- You will be given the option to disable all notifications or just those from Shetland News.
- Open a new internet browser page and go to:
- Settings > Site settings > Notifications
- You will then need to choose Shetland News to opt out of receiving notifications from and follow:
- Permissions > Notifications > Block or Clear and Reset