Push Notifications Policy
Shetland News provides a web push notification service for our end-users using the third party service, OneSignal.
Web push is based on informed consent, no data is collected from the end-user without first opting-in on the browser when first visiting the website. Upon opting-in by turning on the browser-level permission to accept push notifications, the push notifications service of the browser creates a randomly generated ID for the subscription. This ID cannot be used to identify a particular individual, only to attribute whether the end-user has setup a subscription between their browser and the push notification system. Data is automatically deleted on expired endpoints and end-users have complete control over their data. They can unsubscribe at any time from their browser (instructions below) and the subscription is removed and any associated data deleted.
Subscribe to Push Notifications
Push notifications is a new feature that allows users to subscribe to instant notifications for new Shetland News stories.
Pushes show up as notification badges on your screen where you can view the title, clicking on it will take you directly to the story on www.shetnews.co.uk.
In order to subscribe, you need a compatible browser, please see below:
- Chrome 42+ (Desktop & Android)
- Safari 7.1+ (macOS only, iOS & iPadOS are not supported)
- Firefox 44+ (Desktop)
- Firefox 48+ (Android)
The box below displays the status of your push notification.
Push subscriptions are easy to opt-in and easy to unsubscribe from using your browser preferences.
Chrome (Method 1)
- Click on the padlock icon left of the browsers address bar.
- Change notifications from Allow to Block.
- When returning back to the website, apply the changes by clicking Reload.
Chrome (Method 2)
- Click on the icon with three dots in the upper right of the browser and select Settings.
- Select Privacy and Security then Site settings then Notifications.
- Find https://www.shetnews.co.uk:443 in the allow list. Click the three dots to it’s right and select Block.
- Select Safari in the top left of your display.
- Select Preferences… from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Websites tab.
- In the left-column, select Notifications.
- Within the list you should find Shetland News. Change the mode from Allow to Deny.
Firefox (Method 1)
- Select the padlock / settings icon left of the browser address bar.
- Click the x right of Send Notifications to remove notifications.
- You may need to reload the page for the changes to apply.
Firefox (Method 2)
- Click on the icon with three lines in the upper right of the browser & select Options.
- Select Privacy & Settings and scroll down to Permissions.
- Select Settings… right of Notifications.
- In the web site list, look for https://www.shetnews.co.uk and change the mode from Allow to Block.
- Select Save Changes