A HOUSE fire broke out in a residential street in the south of Lerwick on Monday morning.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said that a total of six fire appliances were in attendance at what was described as a “significant fire” at Sandyloch Drive.
Four police cars were also on the scene and the road was closed off. No one was home at the time.
A fire and rescue spokeswoman said the callout came at 10.01am and firefighters were on the scene by 10.12am. The fire was on the first floor and roof area of the two-storey home, and six sets of breathing apparatus and four hose-reel jets were used. The fire had been brought under control by 12.30pm.
As of lunchtime four of the fire appliances had departed but two Lerwick fire engines remained on the scene.
It is understood that the occupants had only recently moved into the property.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 350 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or by monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News