A SINGLE storey house at Gunnister, north of Brae, was extensively damaged in a blaze this morning (Thursday).
Fire appliances from Brae and Hillswick were called out at 7.20am to find the dwelling house “well alight”.
A spokesperson for the Scottish Fire and Rescue said the occupants of the house were all accounted for.
Fire fighters used two main jets and one hose reel jet to tackle the blaze. They managed to contain the fire by 8.50am but it took another two hours to dampen it down and eventually extinguish the fire.
The spokesperson said all appliances had left the scene by 11.40am.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 540 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News