Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Court regular jailed for turning up drunk

A REGULAR at Lerwick Sheriff Court was sent to jail for 12 weeks for failing to appear for his trial in June, and being drunk and disorderly when he did show up. 

In addition, Owen Haughian is to spend a further month in jail to serve the rest of a previous sentence he was released from early.

Appearing from custody on Thursday, the 32 year old’s trial date was deferred to 11 November.

He is accused of having sexually touched two teenage girls, aged 14 and 15, on 1 August last year at Hoofields, and on 24 January in a flat at Burgh Road, both in Lerwick.

The trial was due to commence on 25 June, when Haughian did not appear, and when he did arrive two hours late he was intoxicated and had to be taken to the cells.

Defence solicitor Tommy Allan said that any chance of not being placed in custody evaporated when Haughin appeared at court drunk, but insisted that his client was determined to end his offending behaviour.

Meanwhile, a “career criminal” from Devon was sent to jail for 18 weeks for giving a false name and date of birth to police officers in Lerwick.

Appearing from custody before the town’s sheriff court, Justin Lean pleaded guilty to a charge of intending to pervert the course of justice while in Lerwick’s Staney Hill area on 20 June.

The 42 year old, of Raleigh Road, Newton Abbot, was on bail from West Devon Magistrates Court when he failed to comply with local police officers’ investigation.

They had been called out to the Staney Hill area to investigate a suspicious looking motorhome, when coming across Lean who was described as nervous and unwilling to cooperate.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said Lean was a “career criminal” with no connection to Shetland.

Asking for leniency defence solicitor Tommy Allan said his client would like to spend some time with his family before appearing in the West Devon court later in the year where he expected to receive a lengthy custodial sentence.

Philip Mann said not cooperating with police investigations was in itself a serious matter, and for someone “with your record” it deserved a custodial sentence.