Town violence

A LERWICK teenager who smashed a shop window with a traffic cone last summer was fined £400 at Lerwick Sheriff Court on Thursday.

Joseph John Irvine, of 29 Hoofields, had previously pled guilty to recklessly destroying the front window of the Ninian shop, in Commercial Street, on 3 June 2012.

The court heard that the shop owners had been insured for the £2,500 cost of the damage.


Sheriff Philip Mann initially intended to impose a compensation order but he restricted himself to a fine after hearing 17 year old Irvine had been of good behavior since the offence.

Meanwhile a 21 year old Shetland man who now lives in Orkney was placed under supervision for 12 months and ordered to carry out 120 hours of unpaid work for a serious assault in Lerwick’s Commercial Street.

Daniel Ewan, with an address of 2 St Olaf’s Lane, Kirkwall, had pled guilty at an earlier court hearing to repeatedly punching and kicking his victim on his head and body on 3 June last year.


The court heard that Ewan had since managed to turn around his life and was now working as a labourer with a small Orkney building firm.

Sheriff Mann described the assault as a “serious offence” and warned Ewan that the sentence imposed was a direct alternative to jail.

Finally a 34 year old man was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay £200 compensation to one of his victims following serious assaults in Scalloway on 3 September last year.

Mark Wayne McDonnell, from Edinburgh, had admitted a breach of the peace by entering a house in the village and refusing to leave again, and then attacking a man and a woman at the house.

The court heard that since the incident McDonnell had “turned the corner”, was being supported by his wife and also had obtained well paid work in Aberdeen.

Defence solicitor Tommy Allan said his client was well aware that he was at risk of being sent to jail.

Sheriff Mann said that with McDonnell’s criminal record he would not have been criticised for sending him to prison for the offences.