Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Man appears in court to deny racially aggravated assault

A TWENTY five year old man has appeared from custody at Lerwick Sheriff Court in relation to an alleged racially aggravated assault at the weekend.

Alexander Wishart, of Sandveien, Lerwick, pleaded not guilty to assaulting a man in a private hire taxi in a car park elsewhere in the town on Sunday by seizing him on the head and removing his glasses from his face, causing them to break.

The crown also alleges that the offence was racially aggravated under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.

He was granted bail with a special condition that he must not contact the complainer in the charge, and a trial date has been set for 15 February with an intermediate diet on 30 January.

A MAN has been granted bail after appearing in court to deny assaulting his partner by repeatedly striking her head off a wall.

Simon Cooper, 31, of Nederdale, Lerwick, is accused of assaulting the woman on Tuesday by seizing her by the arm, grabbing her by the face, repeatedly striking her head off an internal wall all to her injury, and uttering threats to her.

He is also accused of resisting, obstructing or hindering two police constables in the execution of their duty.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie took a dim view of Cooper’s behaviour downstairs in the court building after he started threatening to “kick off” in the courtroom if he was remanded in custody.

Mackenzie said Cooper should be aware that “his nonsense has no effect, will not be tolerated and will only make things worse”.

Defence agent Tommy Allan confirmed his client had apologised to G4S security staff and police officers for his conduct.

Sheriff Philip Mann told Cooper he should “watch what you’re doing” before granting bail ahead of a trial on 18 January.

A GROUNDWORKER who had sentence deferred to be of good behaviour has been fined £200 after reappearing at Lerwick Sheriff Court.

(Name removed), previously admitted behaving in a threatening or abusive manner at an address in the town’s St Olaf Street on 1 February this year by shouting, swearing and kicking a door.

He also admitted wilfully or recklessly destroying or damaging property belonging to another at Hoofields, Lerwick on the same date. He smashed an external window, threw household items on the floor, poured cooking oil on the floor, forced a toilet from its fixings and smashed a television.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said the incidents stemmed from a disagreement with his brother and it was now “water under the bridge” between them.