Suspected scrap metal thieves caught

POLICE in Shetland are asking anyone who may have had scrap metal or old batteries lying around at the weekend to check if they are still there after two men were arrested on Sunday for theft.

A report is to be submitted to the procurator fiscal after officers stopped a blue Ford Transit van on Lerwick’s Holmsgarth Road at 6.15pm in which they found a quantity of scrap metal and batteries.


Police are asking anyone who may have sold material to the two men or may be missing metal or batteries to get in touch with Lerwick police station urgently so everything they have recovered can be identified.

In other weekend incidents police are reporting three girls to the Children’s Panel following the theft of clothing from a house in Mossbank over the past two months.

A man has been held in custody over the weekend after being arrested around 11pm on Friday for shouting and swearing at a house in Burra.


In the early hours of Saturday morning a man was issued with a fixed penalty for drinking in public in Lerwick town centre in breach of the local byelaw.

At 9am on Saturday a 50 year old man was detained after a search found him in possession of controlled drugs, with a report to be submitted to the procurator fiscal.

Police are also looking for witnesses who may have seen a car being damaged as it was parked in the Sandveien area of Lerwick.

Over the weekend Shetland coastguard airlifted three men working in the oil industry to hospital in Lerwick.

On Friday night a seaman on board the seismic survey vessel Hugin Explorer working 50 miles north west of Eshaness was suffering heart problems.

A man suffering from kidney stones on board the Alba FSU (floating storage unit) was flown in from 120 miles south east of Sumburgh on Saturday morning.

And on Sunday afternoon a man aboard the Sedco 714 deep water, semi submersible drilling rig 80 miles east of Fetlar had to be taken for medical treatment.as he was choking on something.

Meanwhile the fire brigade in Sandwick were called out at 10pm on Saturday to extinguish a blazing hydro pole.