Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Court / Sheriff court round up – 2 September 2020

A WOMAN from East Burrafirth was fined £400 and given five penalty points for an incident on 24 January on the A971 near to the junction heading to Kergord.

At Lerwick Sheriff Court on Wednesday Georgina Henry admitted driving without due care and attention by executing an overtaking manoeuvre in the face of an oncoming vehicle, which required taking evasive action to avoid collision.

The charge also stated that the 70-year-old’s car collided with the vehicle she was attempting to overtake.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said the incident happened when it was technically safe to overtake.

“She was not accelerating hard enough to complete the manoeuvre safely,” he said.

“She was very remorseful and she got a significant fright.”

The court heard that when her car pulled back in after aborting the overtaking manoeuvre, it struck the vehicle in front.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said Henry had an unblemished driving record since obtaining a licence in the 1980s.

Jack Coleman, of Baltasound, was fined a total of £500 and given six penalty points.

The 21-year-old admitted driving with no insurance or full licence on 11 May in Baltasound while his car had a couple of defects.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said Coleman was stopped on a routine check.

A WOMAN from Lerwick has been told to pay £415 in compensation after smashing a window in the town earlier this summer.

Kristina Cumming, of Da Vadill, was also placed under supervision for 12 months after admitting behaving in a threatening or abusive manner at an address in Lerwick on 18 July.

The 51-year-old shouted, swore, uttered threats and struck a window with the rock.

At Lerwick Sheriff Court on Wednesday Cumming was also given a 12-month non-harassment order relating to the complainer.

Lauren Sandison, of Longland, Lerwick, was given £350 and four penalty points for failing to stop behind a queue of stationary traffic and colliding with a vehicle.

The incident occurred on the A970 near to the Aithsetter junction in Cunningsburgh on 8 July.

Mackenzie said the 18-year-old failed to maintain a proper lookout.