Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Hockey: Whalsay wins Lizzie Polson Cup

Lizzie Polson Cup Final

Burra 1 – 2 Whalsay

Shetland Hockey’s second bit of silverware was up for grabs last Thursday night as Burra met Whalsay in the Lizzie Polson cup final. Burra started the game with the pass back, but it was Whalsay that had the first chance in the first minute of the game: A great through ball from Alison Williamson, found Nicola Duthie who could only fire the ball across the goal.

Both teams were struggling to keep possession in the early minutes of the game. This was costly for Whalsay, as a ball out of defence was intercepted by the Burra attack, and they quickly pounced. Stacey Laurenson won the ball and played in Karen Mckelvie, who then dinked a great little through ball to Kristan Robertson, who was able to knock the ball past the Whalsay goalie at the near post: 1-0 Burra.

Burra were keen to increase their lead and straight from the restart were able to win their first short corner of the game. Robertson played it out to Laurenson who fired it just wide of the right hand side of goal.

For the next 10 minutes both teams were finding it hard to keep the ball, with good defending from both teams. On 14 minutes, Whalsay did have the Burra goalie beaten, but after a discussion between the umpires it was ruled to have been a shot from outside the D, so no goal.

After 17 minutes Whalsay’s captain Maggie Irvine was introduced to the game, but found Whalsay having to defend three more short corners from Burra in quick succession. Burra were unable to take advantage of any of these, and Whalsay cleared their lines well.

25 minutes gone and Whalsay were starting to take control of the midfield; from this Zoe Irvine played a great through ball in towards goal, where Nicola Duthie bravely slid in to just deflect the ball wide of goal. Burra’s defence was holding strong at this point with Kristy Halcrow and Kayti Jeromson doing well, but were finding it difficult to hold up Zoe Irvine.

It was due to some magical play from Zoe Irvine that Whalsay finally levelled. In the last minute of the first half Irvine picked up the ball in the middle of the pitch and drove forward with the ball beating three players with her wonderful stick work, entered the top of the D and struck the shot into the bottom left corner: 1-1 at halftime.

Whalsay started the second half, but it was Burra that caused the first bit of danger when Laurenson and Robertson linked well down the right, with a neat 1-2 Robertson was able to drive into the D but was cleared by the Whalsay rear guard.

For the next 10 minutes both teams had chances at either end, with Whalsay’s Zoe Irvine and Maggie Irvine pulling the strings for Whalsay, and Burra relying on quick breaks through to their forward players.

At 50 minutes Burra were able to win there 5th short corner of the game. It was injected in to Laurenson to strike but Maggie Irvine was out fast to close down. Burra’s 6th short corner was injected by Mckelvie to Robertson who was fouled and Burra’s 7th short corner was awarded. Again Maggie Irvine was out fast to clear the danger.

Now it was time for Whalsay to attack. Their midfield magician Zoe Irvine was always looking dangerous in the final 3rd of the pitch. She was able to pick up the ball and go passed three opponents and play Alison Williamson in the D, who found Deborah Mouat to flick the ball past the Burra goalie after 55minutes: 2-1 Whalsay.

Burra tried to get right back into the game and Sarah Young had a strike on goal which just went wide. Whalsay were working hard to press the Burra midfield, with Maggie Irvine leading by example. Both teams had chances in the last minutes of the game.
Players of the Match were Kayti Jeromson for her defending throughout the game, and Maggie Irvine who grabbed hold of this game determined to take the trophy home to Whalsay. The trophy was presented to Whalsay’s team captain by Kim Coutts, Lizzie Polson’s granddaughter.

Fiona Dally was injured during the game and everyone in Shetland hockey wishes her a speedy recovery.

Shearer Shield

Delting 1 -2 Burra
Burra got off to a flying start, with a quick break through the middle of the park resulting in an early goal by Lorrie Robertson. This seemed to give Delting the nudge they needed and they immediately improved their play, with Jillian Copland controlling the centre of the park.

Good movement from Lauren Peterson and Lauren Devonald down the left wing created space up front and Brenda Leask was on the end of a good cross in to equal the score. Burra were constantly dangerous on the break however and they were rewarded with a short corner just after the restart.

Nicola Blance defended well for Delting to block the initial shot but Kirsten Robertson was first to react in a scramble for the ball and netted Burra’s second of the night. The remainder of the half was played at a good tempo with Delting keeping good possession and coming close to equalising on a few occasions.

The second half saw Delting coming out strong with Julie Crossan playing well down the right wing and linking with Donna Murray on the forward line who saw a good strike saved well by Sarah Cooper in the Burra goal.

Burra again threatened the Delting defence, with Laurenson and Robertson combining well with one-twos in a fast break but Jessalin Fraser did well to close down the danger and see it out of play.

Delting dominated  the park when they had the ball and were unlucky to not score when a scramble in the penalty area saw Murray’s shot go narrowly wide after strong link up play with Blance, Copland, and Kerry Burgess.

Towards the end of the half Burra pushed forward and came close from a reverse flick from Laurenson but Delting defended well to clear the danger.

A close fought game ended 2-1 to Burra with Murray best on the night for Delting and Robertson earning the accolade for Burra.

Spurs 1 -2 Scalloway

On a magical night in Brae, the Scalloway Hufflepuffs met the Slytherin Spurs for an epic duel.

Hufflepuffs started at a fast pace and settled quickly allowing Hannah “Potter” Burgess to slip the golden snitch into the back of the net with her nimbus 3000.

Slytherin reacted via visiting wizards Mhari ‘Weasly’ Angus and Jean ‘Dumbuldore’ Winchester, casting the ball right, left and centre. With Hufflepuff still on the attack “Potter” Burgess swooped into the net her second goal. Slytherin’s strong defence stepped up allowing the forwards to mount and attack. With the attackers dodging bludgers to create an opportunity for “Dumbuldore” Winchester to work her magic and take back one for Slytherin to end the first half 2-1.

After some reviving potions at half time both teams set out to conquer the snitch. Each player determined as the next saw some great play from both sides. Rhiannon long-bottom Inkster stayed strong in the “Hufflepuff” Scalloway defence to sweep “Slythering” Spurs off their broom sticks.

Slytherin slipped forward on the attack and were unlucky not to conjure some goals, but goalie Christine “Granger” Georgeson saw those bludgers off. Ending the game 2-1.

A big thanks to all of the Slytherin visitors. Players of the match were, Jean Winchester of Spurs and Michaela Johnson for Scalloway.