OIL company Premier has announced first oil from the Solan field, which is located in 135 metres of water to the West of Shetland near the Schiehallion and Foinaven fields.
The company said that, following further preparatory works, it hopes to build up production to between 20,000 to 25,000 barrels per day.
Oil is stored in a massive subsea tank before being pumped directly to tankers for export.
The company created a spectacle in Lerwick Harbour in August 2014 when the heavy lifting vessel Xiang Yun Kou unloaded the huge tank in Breiwick, before it was towed to its final destination.
Premier Oil is the operator of the field, holding a 60 per cent interest, with Chrysaor owning the remaining 40 per cent.
The company had initially hoped to bring the field on stream at the end of 2014.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 540 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News