TWO FIRE crews were called out to tackle a house fire in Hillswick on Wednesday afternoon.
Smoke had been seen billowing from Everor, an unoccupied old domestic property on a hill overlooking the north mainland village’s bay.
A Scottish fire and rescue spokeswoman said crews from Lerwick and Scalloway were called out at 3.38pm and had the fire under control by 5.18pm.
The two crews, along with a supporting officer, remained on the scene at teatime continuing to dampen down the remnants of the fire.
The house has been unoccupied since its former owner died several years ago, and is believed to have been bought and sold twice since then.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 380 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or by monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News