SIC - Coronavirus business support fund - apply online
Ocean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean Kinetics

Court round up

Could face jail
TWO young Shetland men have admitted knocking a man unconscious to the ground in Lerwick’s Commercial Street and continuing to punch him to his injury.

At Lerwick Sheriff Court on Thursday 20 year old Geordan Sales, of 18 Kalliness, Weisdale, and 16 year old Thomas Drever, of 27 Cheyne Crescent, Lerwick, both admitted assaulting the man on 14 September last year.

The case was adjourned until next month for background reports, with Sheriff Philip Mann warning the two men they could face a jail sentence.

Almost 5x the limit
UNEMPLOYED Lerwick man Andrew Goodlad must also wait until next month to be sentenced after being found guilty of driving his car while almost five times the legal alcohol limit.

Goodlad, aged 55, had pled not guilty to driving while drunk from his girlfriend’s house on North Lochside to his home at Flat 3, 4 Harbour Street, on 3 August last year.

A trial on Thursday heard that sales assistant Caroline Odie and Goodlad had been drinking at her house when he became argumentative and she told him to leave.

However when she saw him climb into the driver’s seat of his grey Peugeot 306 and head off towards Grantfield she called the police out of concern.

The police found him a few minutes later outside his flat with his car keys in his pocket and the car bonnet still warm.

Goodlad claimed his friend Gregor Manson had been at the wheel, but Manson denied this from the witness box.

Sheriff Philip Mann adjourned the case for background reports saying all sentencing options were open to him, but custody was not “a foregone conclusion” even though Goodlad had previous drink driving convictions.

Good behaviour
A YOUNG man who was warned he would be sent to prison unless he behaved himself for a lengthy period was let off with community service at the sheriff court.

Shaun Smith, aged 21, who gave his address as care of 28 Bruce Crescent, Lerwick, had previously admitted repeatedly kicking and punching a man who had broken a window in St Olaf Street in December 2013.

Last June he was given nine months to be of good behaviour and on Thursday the court heard he had stayed out of trouble, working on a salmon farm on the west coast and fixing cars, and had made up with his victim.

Sheriff Mann ordered Smith to carry out 150 hours of voluntary work for what he described as “a serious offence”.