AS PUBLIC life comes to a standstill in an attempt to slow down the spread of the coronavirus, Shetland News has compiled a list of closures, cancellations and postponements.
This list can only be as good and comprehensive as the information we receive from our readers and does not claim to cover it all as many people will announce changes to social and business events via social media.
To help us make this service as meaningful as possible, please notify us via e-mail email@example.com, message us on Facebook or simply call 01806 577332. Please check this page regularly as is it will be updated throughout the days ahead.
**Note we also have a lengthy What’s Open page available. Partially open businesses can be found there with updated details.**
Long-term cancellations: SIC, large organisations, large events / Charities, self-help groups / Social clubs, community groups, sports clubs / Public halls, community centres / Churches / Pubs, hotels, shops, other venues / Everything else.
Single events by date: here.
This list was last updated on 27 May 2020 at 11.30am.
SIC, large organisations, large events
- Latest SIC services affected; ZetTrans website
- All non-essential travel on inter-island ferries prohibited – see here for details;
- Area Transport Forums and Active Travel workshops / drop-ins – All transport engagement has been postponed until further notice;
- Bus Services 23, 30, 29, 19, 28 24Y, 24V on Saturday timetable until further notice. Late night services (anything after 22.55pm) on service 4, 9, 6, and 23 suspended;
- Da Voar Redd Up – Postponed, perhaps until the autumn;
- Midsummer Carnival (Callum Younger Reach Fund) – Cancelled. Next carnival Saturday 19 June 2021.
- NHS Community Nursing – The Travel Health Assessment service is suspended. It is anticipated that the service will re-commence in August . For up-to-date information, please check the Travel Health section on the NHS Board website.
- NHS Screening Progammes – Paused: Breast Screening (mammograms), Cervical Screening (smear tests), Bowel Screening (home test kits), Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Screening (ultrasound of abdomen), Diabetic Retinopathy (Eye) Screening (images taken of the eye). No additional patients will be invited for screening until further notice. Results for those who have recently been screened or who have completed and returned home test kits will continue to be processed.
- NHS Shetland’s Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service – Suspended face-to-face contact for the foreseeable future, see here;
- Play areas and parks – those run by the council are closed;
- Registration Office at Lerwick Town Hall – closed to the public until further notice. Details of new restrictions can be found here;
- Schools and nurseries closed until further notice. Limited childcare places offered to front line staff see this page for details;
- Screenplay 2020 – Cancelled;
- Shetland Accordion and Fiddle Festival – Cancelled;
- Shetland Amenity Trust offices, Garthpool – Closed to public until further notice;
- Shetland Arts – Temporarily closed all venues (Mareel, Bonhoga Gallery, Garrison Theatre and ShetlandMade retail outlet) until further notice;
- Shetland Arts’ Folk Frenzy (2 – 8 August) – Cancelled, as are all other events until the end of June 2020;
- Shetland Boat Week (August) – Cancelled;
- Shetland Classic Motor Show (6-7 June) – At Clickimin, cancelled;
- Shetland College – Face‐to‐face teaching at will be suspended until further notice;
- Shetland Folk Festival (30 April – 3 May) – Rescheduled for next year;
- Shetland Library and Learning Centre in Lerwick – Closed. The mobile library will not be out and home deliveries will be suspended pending review. Staff will answer emails and calls;
- Shetland Museum and Archives – Closed to public until further notice;
- Shetland Nature Festival (July) – Cancelled;
- Shetland Recreational Trust – All leisure centres and swimming pools are closed until further notice;
- Shetland Wool Week (late-Sep-Oct) – Cancelled;
- SIC Community Planning and Development – ESOL Classes, Adult Learning classes, One to One Learning and Learning Support at Home have been suspended until further notice. Ongoing Support to Learners – continue to get in touch by phone or email;
- SIC Environment & Estate Operations:
– Do not use bottle banks: store glass at home as banks are not being emptied as frequently, and the visit is not considered essential travel.
– Bulky uplift service suspended, and Landfill site is open to commercial waste only.
- SIC Ground Maintenance – Most grounds maintenance suspended. Resources will be concentrated on burial grounds, parks and sporting areas, and safety cuts for road verges. This may change depending on staffing levels;
- SIC Planning – No duty officer service at 8 North Ness until further notice;
- Supported Living – Visits to tenancies from family and friends who do not live in the same household will no longer be permitted. Social care staff will ensure that, as far as possible, tenants have access to telephones and technology to maintain contact with their family and friends;
- Wordplay 2020 – Cancelled.
Charities, self-help groups
- Ability Shetland Clubs – Cancelled until further notice;
- Aith charity shop – Closed until situation is resolved;
- Bruckland SCRAN, Northmavine – closed until further notice;
- Macular Support Group – Cancelled till further notice;
- Yell for Cancer Support charity shop, Aywick – Closed for sales and donations until further notice.
Social clubs, community groups, sports clubs
- Bambeenies – All classes are cancelled;
- Bressay Parkrun – Cancelled until further notice;
- Brae Parent and Toddler Group – Closed until further notice. It will be reviewed after the Easter holidays;
- Delting Boating Club – 500 Cards – postponed;
- Food for the Way – All activities are cancelled until further notice;
- Inferno Dance Group – All classes cancelled. They will to assess the situation and keep people informed for further classes and events;
- Lerwick Dance Club – All club meetings cancelled until September 2020;
- Lerwick sea scouts, cubs and beavers – All cancelled until further notice;
- Mossbank Under 5’s Group – Closed and will be reviewed after the school holidays;
- Ness Boating Club – Closed until further notice;
- Shetland Clay Target Club – All events postponed until further notice;
- Shetland Community Brass Band – Cancelled on Monday nights until further notice;
- Shetland Community Choir – Rehearsals at the Islesburgh are cancelled until further notice;
- Shetland Darts – All league darts and associated events have been suspended until further notice;
- Shetland Family History Society – Closed until the middle of April then reviewed;
- Scalloway Hall Toddler Group – Postponed until after the Easter holidays;
- Shetland Indoor Bowling Club – Sessions at Clickimin bowls hall are cancelled until further notice. The date of AGM will be advised at a later date;
- Shetland Kung Fu and Kickboxing – Cancelled until further notice;
- Shetland U3A – All activities are cancelled until further notice;
- ShetlandPeerieMakkers – All tuition has been cancelled until further notice;
- Tingwall Barbarians – Exercise sessions at the Tingwall Hall cancelled until further notice.
Public halls, community centres
- Bressay Hall – Weekly indoor bowls, badminton, 500 cards;
- Quarff Public Hall – Shut for the foreseeable future;
- Scalloway Youth & Community Centre – Closed.
- Church of Scotland – All services and events across Shetland have been cancelled until further notice;
- Lerwick Methodist church – Food for the Way activities in Lerwick Methodist Church and Sandveien are cancelled;
- Methodist Church – All services are cancelled until further notice. All Food for the Way activities are cancelled until further notice;
- Reawick Congregational Church – Cancelled all services until further notice;
Pubs, hotels, shops, other venues
- Baltasound Hotel – Closed;
- Bruckland SCRAN, Northmavine – Closed until further notice;
- COPE: Shetland Home Co, Shetland Kitchen Co, Shetland Garden Co, Shetland Soap Store – All closed until further notice;
- Dragon House, Lerwick – Closed;
- Garriock Bros Building Centre – Closed;
- Golden Coach/Baroc, Lerwick – Closed;
- Great Wall Chinese/Thai Restaurant – Closed until further notice;
- Happy Haddock – Closed until further notice;
- ICare Shetland, Miller Opticians and Specsavers Opticians – All routine eye examinations cancelled. Contact your optician for emergency eye care and any other request;
- Lerwick Brewery – Brewery bar and gift shop is closed to the public and all tours cancelled. Beer Launch Night postponed until further notice;
- Lerwick Dental Practice – Appointments for ‘at risk’ groups cancelled; limited other treatments available, see their web page for details;
- Magno Cafe Restaurant – Closed;
- Moorfields Hotel – Bar and restaurant is closed to the public until further notice;
- Nesting Scrap-store – Closed until further notice;
- RE Watt / Autolec – Closed;
- Scalloway Hotel – Closed;
- The Great Wall Chinese/Thai Restaurant – Takeaway closed.
- Hoswick Play Park – closed until further notice;
- Michaelswood – Closed until further notice;
- Planned filming on the next instalment of the Shetland crime drama, which was due to get under way on 31 March, has been postponed;
- RSPB has closed three nature reserves in Shetland – Sumburgh Head, Mousa and Spiggie Loch;
- Shetland Parliamentary office will be closed for face-to-face meetings until further notice. Constituency surgeries and visits are postponed for the time being;
Saturday 30 May
- Relay for Life Shetland – Postponed until May 2021.
Sunday 7 June
- Lifeboat Gala in Aith – Annual event cancelled.
Tuesday 9 June
- Shetland County Music Club – Country Superstars cancelled. Details on Facebook.
Sunday 14 June
- ALICE Theatre Project – Acting and Performance workshops – cancelled.
Saturday 27 June
- Midsummer Carnival (Callum Younger Reach Fund) – Cancelled. Next carnival Saturday 19 June 2021.
Saturday 11 July
- Unstfest 11-19 July – Cancelled.
Saturday 1 August
- Voe Show – Cancelled.
Wednesday 12 August
- Cunningsburgh Show – Cancelled.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 420 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News