THERE were no late surprises when nominations for June’s general election closed at 4pm on Thursday.
As expected, the Orkney and Shetland seat will be contested by six candidates.
- Robina Rendall Barton – Scottish Labour Party
- Miriam Brett – Scottish National Party
- Alistair Carmichael – Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Jamie Halcro Johnston – Scottish Conservative and Unionist
- Stuart Hill – Independent
- Robert Smith – UK Independence Party
Polling day is on Thursday 8 June. The count will get underway at the Kirkwall Grammar School after polling stations close at 10pm.
Votes cast in Shetland will be flown to Kirkwall for counting. A result for the Northern Isles constituency is expected at around 6am the following morning.
Shetland News will be reporting live from the count in Orkney.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 390 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News