Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Community / Help available for EU citizens looking to gain settled status

THE LOCAL Citizens Advice Bureau has received UK Government funding to help EU citizens applying for settled status. 

With the UK about to exit the European Union at the end of this month, citizens from EU member states, the European economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland need to check their immigration status.

CAB bureau manager Karen Eunson said: “It is free to apply and people can apply themselves but, if anyone would like extra support, CAB can help.”

Applicants need to provide evidence of their identity and of how long they have stayed in the UK. Applications usually have to be made online.

“CAB can provide help to people in gathering the evidence they need and in making the online application. We can also refer people on for expert help if their situation is more complex,” Eunson said. All advice provided by CAB is free of charge.

She added that for anyone not confident in English, CAB could provide advisers who speak German, Hungarian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish, as well as having access to a translation service for other languages.

The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021. However, CAB recommends applying by 31 December 2020 as people’s rights could change after that date should a trade deal with the EU not be negotiated by the end of the year.

For further information contact Shetland CAB on 01595 694696 or email sicab@shetland.org Information is also available on the Home Office website in 26 European languages www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families