THREE people escaped unhurt after an engine began releasing smoke on board their boat near Burra on Saturday.
A Sumburgh based coastguard helicopter and the Aith lifeboat were tasked around 12.30pm after receiving a call from a vessel off West Burra that reported a smoking engine.
The Rescue 900 chopper attended the scene and located the 20ft boat, but the overheated engine had been disconnected and the smoke had died down.
Nearby boats in the area then towed the vessel with the people on board into Hamnavoe. They were unhurt and did not require medical attention.
The Lerwick and West Burra Isle coastguard rescue teams also attended the scene.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 350 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or by monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News