Wednesday court

TWO YOUNG men have been placed under supervision and ordered to complete unpaid work after assaulting a man in Lerwick last year.

Jordan Palmer, 20, of Sandveien, Lerwick and Liam McLaren, 19, of the town’s South Lochside, punched their victim on the head to his injury outside a pub at the Esplanade on 3 October.


Sheriff Philip Mann said it was “good fortune” that nothing more serious happened due to the nature of the assault.

The court was told at an earlier hearing that the victim, who was drunk and alone, was discovered lying semi-conscious by police officers.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said Palmer acknowledged the seriousness of the offence, and although there was an element of provocation there was no excuse for his actions.

Liam McAllister, representing McLaren, said his client had shown genuine remorse and had attended the police station the following morning and made a full statement. 

Palmer was placed under supervision for one year and given 70 hours of unpaid work. McLaren, meanwhile, was given a fine of £1,000.


MEANWHILE, a serial offender narrowly avoided going to jail when he appeared for sentencing at Lerwick Sheriff Court on Wednesday. 

Nathan Hilditch, of Horseshoe Close, Virkie was given 200 hours of unpaid work and told to pay £300 compensation.

In a previous hearing, the 20-year-old admitted a number of charges that took place between December last year and February.

He repeatedly stepped on the road near his home and on Lerwick’s Commercial Street on 22 December last year, forcing oncoming traffic to a halt and making threats to take his own life.


Hildtich also admitted banging on doors and windows, forcing his way into a house at Summerside, Virkie, and making threats on 9 January.

On the same day, also at Summerside, he damaged property including smashing two windows, causing in excess of £600 worth of damage in the process.

Hilditch also opened a car on Lerwick’s Commercial Road on 4 February, asking the occupants about their religious beliefs.

Defence agent Allan said that Hilditch was now trying to get his life back on track.

Sherriff Mann, however, said that Hilditch was not just a nuisance to the court, but a “menace” – adding he “doesn’t want to see” him in court again.

The 20-year-old was given a combined total of 200 hours of unpaid work and told to pay £300 compensation for damaging property.