THE FIRST blue green algae of the year has been discovered in the Loch of Voe.
Adjoining landowners and NHS Shetland have been advised, although at this stage there is no adverse effect on water supply.
Notices will be posted in the local shop, pub, public toilets and next to the loch and exit burn to warn that contact with algal scum should be avoided.
It can sometimes cause skin rashes, eye irritations, vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and pains in muscles and joints, while it is known to have killed livestock and dogs.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 540 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News