Man admits charges including spitting in constable’s face

A MAN who admitted spitting in a police constable’s face, repeatedly walking into the road in front of oncoming traffic, drug possession and breaching the peace has been remanded in custody.

Martin MacDonald, 43, of Robertson Lane, Lerwick, admitted the offences – which were all committed whilst he was on bail – when he appeared at the town’s sheriff court on Tuesday.


Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said that on 9 August this year Macdonald was “clearly under the influence” of drugs as he walked back and forth onto the road at Lerwick’s Lochside into the path of oncoming vehicles, forcing motorists to take evasive action.

The fiscal said concerns had been expressed about the man’s mental health, but there appeared to be no issues other than his abuse of controlled substances.

When the police were called, they discovered 30 tablets of the class C substance diazepam in MacDonald’s possession.

He was kept in custody overnight and had been given three meals, but demanded more food. A female police constable attempted to talk to him in a “polite and courteous manner”, but he “spat full in her face” with some of it going on her body armour.


The constable had to go to hospital to make sure no infections had been transmitted.

MacDonald also pleaded guilty to an earlier charge of committing a statutory breach of peace on 27 December last year by demanding entry to a property in Lerwick’s St Magnus Street by repeatedly punching and kicking the door.

When the police were called, they found him trying to hide by crouching down behind a car.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said MacDonald was ashamed of his actions.

He urged Sheriff Philip Mann to “trust him to behave himself” by granting bail, but that was refused.

The sheriff told MacDonald he was building up “a bit of a record” and that a custodial sentence was “very much in prospect”.

He remanded the 43 year old in custody until 14 September while a criminal justice social inquiry report is prepared.