Loganair - New Year sale
Ocean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean Kinetics

Drink driver / court round-up

DRIVING while more than four times the legal alcohol limit resulted in a 16-month driving ban for a scaffolder from Middlesbrough when he appeared at Lerwick Sheriff Court on Wednesday.

Steven Wilkinson, 28, from Fairfield Avenue, Ormsby, admitted to committing the offence on the B9076 road between Brae and Sella Ness on 6 December last year.

Tests showed he had 93mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath when the limit is 22mcg.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said his client had been out drinking. No taxi appeared for a while and Wilkinson made the mistake of driving when in no fit state to do so.

While he was “egged on” by his friends, Wilkinson accepted it was his responsibility. He can reduce the disqualification period by four months if he completes a drink driving rehabilitation course.

+ + +

TWO TEENAGE twins appeared in private at Lerwick Sheriff Court on a petition alleging that they committed a break-in, malicious damage and wilful fire-raising.

Lee and Drew Hamilton, both 19 and from Lerwick, made no plea or declaration, were committed for further examination

+ + +

A THIRTY FOUR year old woman also appeared in private on a petition alleging that she obtained benefits to which she was not entitled.

Jacqueline Graham, from Lerwick, made no plea or declaration, was committed for further examination and released on bail.

+ + +

SHAUN Murray, of Bridge of Don, Aberdeen, has been fined £150 and given three penalty points for speeding.

The 23 year old admitted driving on the A970 at Girlsta at 65mph where the limit is 50mph on 19 October last year.

+ + +

A TWENTY three year old who admitted punching a police officer late last year has been fined £100.

Mark Curran, of Blydoit Park, Scalloway, admitted assaulting the officer at HNP Engineers on Lerwick’s Commercial Road on 5 December.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said it was “out of character” behaviour by Curran, who had been drinking heavily and was “extremely apologetic” when he sobered up.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said Curran had only recently returned to Shetland from attending the funeral of an uncle he was very close to. The uncle had died, aged only 36, in a car accident.