TOXIC algae have appeared in a loch in Shetland’s north mainland, local environmental health inspectors have warned.
Samples from Lochend, in Northmavine, have been sent to environment agency SEPA to confirm whether it is blue green algae.
As a precautionary measure, notices are being placed in local shops and next to the local lochs warning people to steer clear of the algae.
Local landowners and fishing interests have also been informed, as have NHS Shetland.
Some blue green algae can give rise to adverse medical effects, including skin rashes, eye irritations, vomiting and diarrhoea, fever and pains in muscles and joints.
Toxic algae have caused deaths of livestock and dogs. Local water supplies have not yet been adversely affected.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 540 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News