Ocean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean Kinetics

Community rallies round to help brothers

The brothers' house at Noness was extensively damaged in the fire - Photo: Kieran Murray

A SHETLAND community is coming to the aid of two elderly brothers who lost everything in a devastating house fire, last week.

Jim and George Halcrow were lucky to escape with their lives when a fire ripped through their home at Noness, in Sandwick, on Friday.

The two men suffered smoke inhalation, and were taken to the Gilbert Bain Hospital, in Lerwick, for overnight observation.

The local community council has now launched an appeal to help the Halcrow brothers to set up a new home.

Donations can be sent Sandwick Community Council (marked “Noness Fire Appeal”) c/o Rosemary Inkster, Wainui, Hoswick. 

Alternatively, the Carnegie Hall in Sandwick will be open on Saturday (3 November) between 11am and 4pm for collection of donated goods and money.

Community council chairman Pete Ellis said: “People in Sandwick were shocked by this terrible fire, but we are determined to rally round and do whatever we can to help George and Jim”.

Categories
By-Election 2019 - Meet the candidates