Thank you to all the folk in Shetland that voted for the Green Party in Thursday’s by-election to the Scottish Parliament.
This was our very first ever participation in any political election here in Shetland and we came fifth out of 10 candidates, beating three local independent candidates, UKIP and Scottish Labour, so a truly amazing result for our first outing.
To quote a young person I met in the Co-operative store a while ago who was advocating all young folk from the age of 15 should be allowed to vote on issues that will effect them in their very near future – “ if you don’t get up on the stage you won’t get a part in the movie”.
Now Shetland’s Scottish Green Party have a role in the movie “Saving The Earth Mothership”. We will now start to move up the leading players aided by three things.
- The growing realisation of the degradation of the Earth Mothership;
- The desperation of young folk who see their future being removed from them through lack of action to halt the greed, unfairness, pollution and raping of the Earth’s finite resources;
- The absolute pathetic action on climate change politics and lack of vision displayed by the worn out current political establishment who all sought your vote to maintain the clapped out political status quo that is the present state of UK politics. UK politics being driven by a tiny group of elite people more interested in their own pockets than the survival of the planet.
What is sad is the worse the climate gets and the more degradation of the planets life support systems, the more folk vote Green, but it may be too late then for us to fix things.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 350 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or by monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News