Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Domestic abuse cases

A MAN who assaulted his partner and struggled violently with police officers has been remanded in custody for another two weeks ahead of sentencing.

Simon Cooper, of Queen’s Drive, Bath, appeared from custody at Lerwick Sheriff Court on Wednesday to admit assaulting the woman at an address in Lerwick on 7 November.

The 31 year old seized hold of her by the arm, grabbing her by the face and striking her head off an internal wall to her injury.

Cooper also admitted restricting, obstructing or hindering two police constables at the same address on the same day and struggled violently with them.

The offences were carried out while Cooper was on bail.

In addition, Cooper previously admitted to attending the woman’s address, elsewhere in Lerwick, on 17 November without reasonable excuse and in breach of bail conditions.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie told the court on Wednesday that Cooper “behaves in a particularly nasty manner” towards police and said that he will “stamp his feet” if he doesn’t get his own way.

He added that it had been suggested that Cooper would react badly if he was remanded again.

The man in the dock, however, then took the chance to apologise for his “appalling” behaviour previously in court, adding that he no longer wanted to drink alcohol.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said drink was a “significant feature” in his client’s offending and pointed to his diagnosis of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder too.

He encouraged Sheriff Philip Mann to grant Cooper bail – not least to allow him to see his children at Christmas.

Sheriff Mann decided against releasing Cooper on bail, owing to the nature of the offences and that he committed them while on bail.

The case was adjourned for social work reports until 20 December and the sheriff warned Cooper that prison was a “very, very serious” possibility.


A MAN from Lerwick who assaulted a woman last year in Yell has been given 120 hours of unpaid work to complete.

Chae Coleman, of Hoofields, previously admitted seizing a mobile phone from the woman’s hand, pushing her on the body and causing her to fall on a couch at an address in Ulsta on 3 October last year.

He also pleaded guilty to repeatedly shouting and swearing, repeatedly banging on the front door and demanding entry at the same address between 3 October and 8 October 2016.

The matter had been deferred in March for the 24 year old to show good behaviour.

But procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie told Lerwick Sheriff Court on Wednesday that Coleman had committed another domestic abuse offence relating to the same victim during that time and had been placed on a non-harassment order.

Sheriff Philip Mann said he noted previously in court that he could have been “lenient” on Coleman if he had been of good behaviour.

Instead, he gave the 24 year old a total of 120 hours of unpaid work to complete as an alternative to a fine.