Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Remanded after admitting bail breach & police struggle

BREACHING bail conditions by attending his former partner’s home before struggling violently with police has resulted in a 31 year old man from Lerwick remanded in custody for at least the next fortnight.

Simon Cooper, of the town’s Hoofields, had already spent the last three nights in custody before appearing at Lerwick Sheriff Court on Monday afternoon.

He admitted to attending the woman’s address, elsewhere in Lerwick, on Friday without reasonable excuse in breach of bail conditions imposed less than a fortnight ago.

Cooper also pleaded guilty to resisting, obstructing or hindering two police constables in the execution of their duty and struggling violently with them.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said it was “not a case where the complainer wants to reconcile – she is extremely frightened of him”. She had the presence of mind to “surreptitiously” phone a relative while he was at the house, after which police were called and a “very violent struggle indeed” ensued.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said his client accepted he had gone to the address and shouldn’t have, but maintained he “did so at the behest of the complainer”.

Because of that factual dispute, Sheriff Philip Mann decided to call a proof and mitigation hearing before passing sentence.

In terms of the struggle with police, Allan said his client had headbutted the wall of the house and the inside of a police van, had “mainly harmed himself” and said he did not wish to harm the officers.

Cooper was hoping to be bailed in order that he could attend a social work appointment to see his son on the day of his second birthday.

Sheriff Mann said that, while he understood that wish, the interests of public safety and the need to ensure Cooper did not reoffend meant he was unable to release him.

He remanded Cooper in custody until a hearing on 6 December.

As he was led away from the dock, Cooper said: “You’re helping a narcissist. Well done.”