ICELAND has warned the EU that economic sanctions would not contribute towards resolving the row over herring and mackerel catch quotas in the northeast Atlantic.
On Monday, the EU had agreed to initiate trade sanctions against Faroe on herring, but stopped short of introducing similar measures against Iceland.
The country’s industry minister Steingrímur J. Sigfússon has now called on all interested parties to return to the negotiating table “to reach a fair solution to this dispute”.
He said: “We must work together to protect the mackerel stock through sustainable fishing levels based on collaborative scientific research.
“The EU and Norway have claimed 90 percent of the recommended 2013 catch level, leaving only 10 percent for Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Russia combined.
“We worry that this decision was made unilaterally despite research showing that up to 30 percent of the mackerel stock was in Iceland’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) in 2012.
“In addition, mackerel gain approximately 50 percent of their weight in Iceland’s territory, feeding in our nutrient-rich waters.
“We believe a diplomatic solution can be reached, but it has to respect scientific evidence and be fair to all countries, not just the biggest ones.
“Applying economic sanctions will not contribute to a long-term solution but on the contrary make the mackerel issue more difficult to resolve.”
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 540 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News