Ocean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean KineticsOcean Kinetics

Marine / Fishing boats owners need to register as food businesses

Despite hard lobbying by the industry, fishing could be ruled by Brussels until the end of the proposed Brexit transition period. Photo: Shetland NewsFishing boat owners need to register their vessels as food businesses.

OWNERS of locally registered fishing boats have been urged to contact Shetland Islands Council’s (SIC) environmental health department to register their vessels as ‘food businesses’.

They are also required to have their vessels inspected by council officials.

The SIC advises that it is a legal requirement for fishing partnerships who intend to export their catch, either directly or indirectly, to any EU member state once the UK has left the European Union on 31 December.

Exemptions apply if your catch is intended either for personal consumption, or if it does not exceed 25kg and is for direct sale from the quayside.

“Vessel owners are responsible for this registration process, and failure to do so may mean that their catches cannot be exported to EU member states at the end of the transition period,” the council said.

More details and a registration from can be obtained at www.shetland.gov.uk/environmental_health/FoodRegistration.asp   or by e-mailing fishingvessels@shetland.gov.uk

Food Standards Scotland has also written to fishing vessel owners across Scotland on this subject.