Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Emergency services / Mussel farm boss thanks emergency services for swift action

Emergency services at Brindister pier on Tuesday. Photo: Shetland Coastguard

THE OWNER of a Shetland mussel farming business has thanked the local emergency services for their swift action after a fire broke out in the engine room of one the company’s work boats.

No-one was injured in the emergency that started on Tuesday morning when the crew on board the Pegasus discovered a fire in the electric system of the engine.

Owner of Shetland Mussels, Michael Tait, said the crew managed to quickly contain the fire with the help of the vessel’s fire suppression system.

The incident happened when the boat was working in the middle of the mussel lines at a site near Vementry.

Aith Lifeboat was called out and it towed to stricken vessel to Brindister Pier, near West Burrafirth.

Meanwhile two fire appliances from Lerwick and one from Scalloway had arrived at the remote pier and took charge of the fire as soon as the vessel had arrived alongside.

Tait confirmed that no-one was injured and all safety systems on board the vessel had worked.

There is damage to the engine and the electrical system of the workboat.

“Super thanks to the coastguards and fire crew for everything,” he said. “The outcome of this could have been much worse.”

He added that he had never seen Brindister pier so busy with folk and vehicles.

Emergency services were stood down at 1.30pm.


Earlier article published at 1.14pm:

EMERGENCY services in Shetland were called to Brindister pier near West Burrafirth this lunchtime (Wednesday) after the mussel farm boat Pegasus reported a fire onboard the vessel.

The Aith lifeboat was tasked to tow the stricken vessel from near Vementry to the pier at Brindister.

Shetland Coastguard confirmed shortly before 1pm that the vessel was alongside the pier, while fire appliances from Scalloway and Lerwick had also arrived to assess the situation.

A spokesperson for Scottish Fire and Rescue confirmed that the fire has been extinguished.