A MAN was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire completely destroyed a large oil tank at the 60 North Recycling depot in Lerwick on Thursday morning.
Two fire engines were called out to the facility at Greenhead to deal with the blazing tank, which measured four metres by three metres by two metres.
A fire service spokeswoman said the tank had been full of tar and the fire took 40 minutes to bring under control using one jet and foam after they received the alarm at around 9.30am.
She said that the fire crews gave the sick man oxygen until the ambulance arrived. His current condition is not known.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 440 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News