Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Court round up

Threatening behaviour
A MAN who admitted threatening his former partner at a house in Cunningsburgh last year was landed in hot water at Lerwick Sheriff Court on Wednesday.

Paul Stevens, of South Lochside, Lerwick, shouted, swore, made threats, pulled a telephone cable from the wall and smashed a mobile phone to prevent his ex-partner from summoning police assistance, having thrown items around the living room at the house on 10 October.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said the 46 year old had been struggling to cope with being separated from his children.

This had created “a destructive mix” once combined with stress and alcohol.

Sheriff Philip Mann described the incident as “particularly nasty” and one that “caused a great deal of fear and alarm”.

He placed Stevens under supervision for 18 months and gave him 100 hours of unpaid work to complete.

He also imposed a non-harassment order for two years.

Uninvited guest
A Lerwick man was fined £250 after admitting he entered his ex-partner’s house before smashing a window and wine bottles.

Paul Mouat, of 64 Nederdale, attended the property at Bakland, Lerwick on 13 December and broke an external window and five bottles of wine worth £8 each.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said the 31 year old entered the house after a night out, with neighbours alerting police after hearing glass being smashed.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said his client has “no recollection” of the incident, but was happy to accept responsibility.

“He will not be drinking spirits again any time soon,” Allan added.

Jealous guy
A FIFTY nine year old man who threw a pint of beer in another man’s face in a Lerwick pub has been fined £125.

David Smith, of 16 Andrewston Brae, Lerwick lobbed the liquid over his victim at the Douglas Arms on 5 April.

Lerwick Sheriff Court heard on Wednesday from procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie that Smith was jealous of the complainer after developing a near “obsession” with his wife.

When the man “smirked” at Smith in the pub, “red mist” descended, said defence agent Gregor Kelly.

The two men have since shaken hands and settled their differences after bumping into each other, with Smith no longer holding any “feelings” for his victim’s wife.

Lost his job
A man from Wishaw was disqualified for one year and fined £400 after driving while more than three times the alcohol limit the morning after a night out.

Kevin Bryce, of 5 Carousel Crescent, was examined by police after he drove a minibus off the road at the B9073 between Gulberwick and Scalloway on 13 December.

As a result of the incident, the 35 year old has lost his job as a survey coordinator.

Burst of speed
Elena Spence from Sandwick left Lerwick Sheriff Court on Wednesday with six penalty points and a fine of £300.

The 21 year old, of Parkhead, Houlland, previously admitted driving at 90mph in a 60mph zone on the A970 at Fladdabister on 7 September.

Spence had put on a “burst of speed” while overtaking before being spotted by police, procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said.

Speedy overtaking
A welder and fabricator from Lerwick was fined £400 and given six penalty points after admitting he drove at 91mph in a 60mph zone.

Twenty two year old Kieran Odie, of 39 Kantersted Road, was caught while overtaking on the A970 at Tingwall on 27 August.

Misjudged overtaking
A 55 year old taxi driver from Lerwick was fined £300 and given four penalty points after a “misjudged” overtaking manoeuvre caused another vehicle to take evasive action.

Arthur Burgess, of 19 Kantersted Road, admitted careless driving on the A970 north of Cunningsburgh on 10 September.