Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Court briefs

THREE drink drivers were fined and disqualified from driving when they appeared at Lerwick Sheriff Court on Thursday.

Digger driver Andrew Moar, 50, of Sefster, Bridge of Walls, was nearly three times the legal limit when he was breathalysed by police on 17 November after they were tipped off by a concerned member of the public.

Moar was banned from driving for two years, which can be reduced by six months if he completes a rehabilitation course, and fined £800.

Twenty seven year old Louis McQuade, of Hormsby, Middlesbrough, was also found to be nearly three times the legal limit having driven on the A970 road and at the Mid Brae Inn car park.

Police stopped him just after 1am on 18 January and he failed a roadside screening test.

He was banned from driving for a year and eight months, which can be reduced by five months if he takes a rehabilitation course, and fined £800.

Meanwhile 46 year old James Clark, of Burgadale, Brae, admitted driving whilst over the limit at Voe on 8 December last year.

The incident has already cost Clark his job. He has been disqualified from driving for one year and fined £500.

• Meanwhile, a 46 year old man was fined £500 after admitting two counts of stealing groceries from Tesco’s Lerwick supermarket.

Narrinder Hundahl, of Hancliff Lane, Lerwick, admitted stealing a trolley of groceries and several bottles of wine on 11 February. He also pleaded guilty to stealing a smaller amount of groceries on 19 March.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said Hundahl was “clearly embarrassed by what he has done” and was now hoping to find employment in the south of England.

• Thirty seven year old Laura Coutts, of County Durham, paid a £650 penalty for assaulting the owners of a Lerwick pub.

Procurator fiscal Duncan MacKenzie said the managers of Da Noost on Commercial Street had approached Coutts “in a kindly manner” to tell her it was time to leave the pub.

She reacted violently – punching the woman hard enough to break her nose and spectacles. Before the police arrived she also punched a man, causing him to sustain a small cut.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said it was clear Coutts had been drinking too much alcohol. She could not remember the incident but was “truly sorry” and bears no grudge towards the pub owners.

Sheriff Philip Mann said it was a “disgraceful and outrageous way to behave”, but said it was clear Coutts felt embarrassment and remorse.

He fined her £400 and ordered her to pay £250 in compensation to the victims.