THE SECOND algae warning in two days has been issued by Shetland Islands Council after toxic scum was chanced upon by anglers and dog walkers at popular Burga Water, off the Leveneap Road, at Vidlin.
The alert comes a day after the council issued an identical warning when blue green algae was found at Spiggie Loch in the south mainland on Wednesday.
Notices are being put up in local shops and next to the lochs advising people to keep their distance as ingesting the algae can kill animals, including pets, and make people violently ill.
The drinking water supplies in both areas have not been affected by the algae.
Become a supporter of Shetland News
Shetland News is asking its many readers to consider start paying for their dose of the latest local news delivered straight to their PC, tablet or mobile phone.
Journalism comes at a price and because that price is not being paid in today’s rapidly changing media world, most publishers - national and local - struggle financially despite very healthy audience figures.
Most online publishers have started charging for access to their websites, others have chosen a different route. Shetland News currently has over 540 supporters who are all making small voluntary financial contributions. All funds go towards covering our cost and improving the service further.
Your contribution will ensure Shetland News can: -
- Bring you the headlines as they happen;
- Stay editorially independent;
- Give a voice to the community;
- Grow site traffic further;
- Research and publish more in-depth news, including more Shetland Lives features.
If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a supporter of Shetland News by either making a single payment or monthly subscription.
Support us from as little as £3 per month – it only takes a minute to sign up. Thank you.Support Shetland News